Two or three concentric streets spiral
in to the Piazza Grande. Although documented as early as
907, Panicale in its current forms dates from the 15 C when
it came under the sway of Pope Martin V. The fine fountain in Piazza Grande dates back to the
15 C, as does the nearby Palazzo Comunale.
The best starting point for visiting Panicale is the Church of Saint Sebastian
which houses the very beautiful fresco of 'The Martyrdom of Saint
Sebastian' by Perugino (1505). The fresco takes up the entire rear wall of the Church and its sense of lightness is
part of what makes it a masterpiece. The landscape in the
background of the painting is the same as that visible from
outside the church.
The 14 C Palazzo del Podestà, in Lombard-Gothic style, is located
at the highest point in the town, Piazza Masolino, and not
far away is the Ceasare Caporali Theatre which was originally built in the 18 C. It was
redecorated by the architect Caproni in 1858 and remains one of the smallest Umbrian
theatres with 154 seats, only 20 of which are in the pit. The theatre is, unusually, a wooden structure, decorated with
stucco, and it still preserves the curtain painted in 1859 by Mariano
Piervittori, dedicated to the handing over of the keys of Perugia to Boldrino
More about: Panicale near Perugia in Umbria, Italy.